I’ve decided to start a blog here on Fiddler Green Farm to share everything from skin care and recipes to gardening tips and what’s going on on the farm. Soon you’ll also begin to see information on foraging classes, workshops and seedling sales as the weather begins to change.
A topic I'd thought I should start with would be to share my own skin care routine as well as my recommendations for people with different skin types. After all, my skin problems and the solutions I found is what led me to eventually start this business.
I hope you continue to follow along on this journey! Go raibh maith agat (Thank you in Gaelic)
When I started this business, I was dealing with terrible acne, rosacea and even shingles all before the age of 25. It started with some experimenting with common herbs like Lavender, Rosemary and Calendula. Now, 13 years later, my skin care concerns have completely diminished except for the minor hormonal acne we are blessed to deal with as women. If it wasn’t for these herbs and their amazing healing properties, I wouldn’t be here writing this blog post today!
I am often asked what my favorite skin care products are. In the wide range of products I grow and make here on the farm there are so many to choose from! I imagine it can be quite intimidating by looking at the catalog. To make it easy, a lot of my products are designed to be simple to use and easy to incorporate into your daily routine, especially if you are on the go. The most important step is to determine your skin type/need. Below I'll share my own skin care routine, followed by a skin type test and recommendations!
Find out your skin type
Sometimes it's not obvious what type of skin type someone has, in those cases, this trick becomes handy.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser
- Pat dry your face with a clean towel
- Wait for 30 minutes
- Look in the mirror, what does your skin look like?
- If your skin appears dry and flaky and feels tight, you likely have a dry dry skin type.
- Does your skin look shiny and feel greasy? You likely have an oily skin type.
- If your t-zone looks shiny and greasy but the rest of your skin looks normal/dry, you have a combination skintype.
For Dry Skin
Made with Raw Sugar, Jojoba Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Calendula, Lavender, Peppermint, and Rosemary oils this scrub is gentle enough to use anywhere including your face. It helps remove dry, flaky skin while hydrating to prevent future dryness. Shop our Miracle Face & Body Scrub here.
All made with either a combination of Coconut Oil, Beeswax and herbs or Coconut Oil, Shea butter and Beeswax these hydrate your skin leaving it silky smooth.
My all-time favorite Body Butter is the Tír na nÓg. Named after a mystical land in Irish Mythology, this body butter leaves my skin feeling hydrated and looking ethereal. It is safe to use even on your face! Find our body butter collection here.
For Oily Skin
A simple spritz of this lovely Lavender and Rose infused toner will help regulate excess oil and leave your skin feeling fresh and smooth. All of the toners are amazing in combating excess oil but I particularly love this one! Something about the combination of Rose and Lavender transports me to warmer days on the farm. Shop our Lavender & Rose Toner here.
For combination skin, a combination of products is necessary to combat the difficult nature of this skin type. Using a Scrub, a Toner and a moisturizer, dealing with this difficult nature seems like a walk in the park! All scrubs, toners and moisturizers are very versatile and can be interchangeable depending on your scent preference.
Another great option is to lather your face with one of my facial serums. They are gentle enough to use under eyes and are great in combating excess oil, dry skin or combination skin. It seems kind of ironic to use an oil to combat oily skin but Jojoba oil regulates sebum production because it's so similar to the sebum that your body produces naturally. When you put jojoba oil on your skin, your skin is soothed and moisturized, all while keeping skin from looking oily. They are wonderful for all skin types and concerns!If you haven’t already noticed I have a thing for all of the Tír na nÓg products. I love the combination of Rose, Lavender, Mugwort and Calendula. I use the Tír na nÓg serum religiously!
Rebecca's Skin Care Routine
I have a fairly simple skin care routine. I like to keep it simple and I find that with these products, my skin stays healthy and radiant.
- Exfoliate (1-2 times/week) - I love the Miracle Scrub and it's so simple to use. I wet my skin and gently scrub onto face and body, being careful to avoid eyes. I always follow up with toner and serum. It leaves my skin feeling fresh and smooth.
- Tone (AM & PM) - After cleaning my skin, I pat dry it with a towel. Then I follow up with a toner, and I almost always go for the Tír na nÓg toner. Let it absorb for about 30 seconds.
- Hydrate (AM & PM) - I apply the Tír na nÓg Facial Serum both day and night. Usually, I like to massage this product into my skin. Not only because it's nice, but it also promotes healthy skin and helps relaxing the facial muscles.
- Moisturize (AM & PM) - I variate more here depending on the day, but to finish the routine I usually apply the Tír na nÓg shimmering oil or the Áine's Garden body butter.
This routine leaves my skin feeling fresh, hydrated and glowing while smelling incredible! But everybody is different and you may need other products from the catalogue to reduce/solve your skin problems. I hope that the recommendations depending on skin type may help you with that. Otherwise you are more than welcome to reach out to me and I'm happy to help!